Thursday, September 11, 2008

He showed me and she said it.....

I'm a teacher. It's who I am, it's who I will always be. There are few things I've wanted more in my entire life. There are some days I want to pull my hair out in frustration over no names on papers, decimal points in the wrong places, chatty 7th graders who just can't seem to calm down. Some days, though, I want to grab those kids and hug their necks and tell them they are perfect and I love them and I wish they would stay so sweet forever. Today was one of those days.......

Nowadays in public school, we say the Pledge of Allegiance to both the American and Texas flag and then we have a moment of silence. For the last two years, I've had "thugs" 2nd period. You know, the kids who don't care about school. The majority of my girls were sexually active,only at school for the boyfriends, many of them were into drinking in drugs, most of them cussed at me, about me, to me.....just your typical disrespectful kids who give the good ones a bad rap and drop out before they are even 16.(Sidenote - I have had some sweet ones the last two years as well, but the one or two each year don't compare to the ones who left me hating my job) NOT ONCE did I ever hear the Pledge spoken in my room. I begged, I pleaded, I told them they owed it to the people who fought for them to just stand their quietly rather than disrespectfully.

This year, I have the "good" kids. You know, the "honors" kids - the kids you raise yours to be. I hear the Pledge each morning with gusto. They are proud to say it, they know and understand the meaning of it. I smile every morning when I hear them.....

Which leads me to Jonathon....who might be one of the most sweet 13 year old boys I've ever met. Jonathon is your typical jolly kid, very polite and always so helpful. Jonathon comes to my class straight from athletics and it never fails that he is sweating like he just got through boxing 9 rounds. I've been working with him about getting a drink of water before class. He always wants to ask my permission for a drink rather than going before class - just for my permission, not to waste time.

Today, I was explaining to him that it would be a shorter walk if he would get the drink first, rather than walking all the way down my hall and then going back to the water fountain. I sent him away to the fountain and he was almost at the water fountain. Then, the announcements start and he is about 5 seconds away from the Pledge being said. I am not joking when I say that Jonathon SPRINTED back to my room. When he got there, he said "I'm sorry Mrs. Rasor, but I have to say the Pledge. If you don't allow me to get a drink now, I understand, but I can't stand by and disrespect my country and those who fight for me like that."

Jonathon - I only hope I can instill a love of country in my son like I saw in you today.

And then, after the moment of silence, Taylor raised her hand. I looked at her and heard "Mrs. Rasor? Why didn't we have an extended moment of silence today? Today is such an important part of our history, it's who we are as Americans."

To know that this was coming out of a 12 year olds mouth - a girl who was FIVE YEARS OLD when the Trade Centers came crumbling down, who was in Kindergarten when life for Americans changed forever.....she got it. Boy, did she get it.

It's days like today that make me proud of our future. It gives me hope, confidence, and love. I hope I can instill in my son what has been instilled in these kids. I think back to last years group and honestly feel sorry for them, sorry for their lack of compassion, love, and heart. Where did their lives go so wrong that they lost hope?

And to top it off, for the first time in 2 years I got asked to "Please come to our volleyball game today Mrs. Rasor!" (remember I've been teaching "thugs" for two years - "thugs" aren't athletes). I used to get asked all the time at Abell - to football games, baseball, volleyball, and basketball. I've even been invited to a Quincenera......all part of the perks of teaching the "honors" kids..........So I went to the game, and I took my whole family - and I grinned as big as Texas when those girls won.

Today, I am proud to be a teacher. So proud, I might even wear my "Apple" shirt tomorrow......

Nahhhhhhhhhhh - I'm proud - not CRAZY!!!!!

2 comments:

AMBER C said...

Wow...that's amazing. Maybe my year will come when I have these same kinds of students, but I wouldn't put money on it. My kids love to talk about who faught who and where the best party will be that weekend. They even invite me to those parties. Believe me, I feel your past pain. What a blessing you have this year!

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

Oh, that is just making me weep... Thanks for sharing such a great story. You're a really good writer!