Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Why?

I have never lived through divorce. My parents were high school sweethearts who showed their love everyday. I watched them and prayed for a man who I could love just as my mom loved my dad. In my 18 years at home, I remember only 1 argument. My parents kept their disagreements to themselves. As a wife, now, I see that importance.

So, while I can't relate to divorce, my husband can. He was 4 and remembers standing at the front door screaming for his mom to come back. It is something (that and other things) that has stuck with him to this day. He is an amazing father and husband and I know that his feelings, his broken heart from his parents decision makes him who he is.

I, too, have watched the disaster that is Jon and Kate Plus 8. My question is why? The kids are going to ask that question at some point too. Why was I not important enough for you to walk away from the show? Why were my siblings not important enough? Why did you let it get to this? Why? Why? Why?

Since I can't relate to the feelings, I'll let Leslie do all the talking. She's got some firsthand knowledge of what divorce can do to a child.

1 comment:

Leslie Ruth Petree said...

"Why was I not important enough for you to walk away from the show? Why were my siblings not important enough? Why did you let it get to this? Why? Why? Why?"

Oh, sister, you have hit the nail on the head. That is EXACTLY what they're going to ask. And I don't think Jon and Kate are going to have answer. What, are they going to say, "Well, kids, we wanted to have the money for your future." I'm pretty sure that given a choice, those kids would pick their parents together over money ANY day.

I read this morning Jon has refused marriage counseling. Sad. Also, that when they told the twins, Mady was expecting it. How tragic is that? For an eight year old to "expect" her parents to divorce? And with the sextuplets, they kept it "light and airy". These people are delusional...