Thursday, July 24, 2008

PSA

Here is my PSA (Personal Service Announcement) of the day!


This little tidbit is brought to you in part by Leslie. Her blog about her husband's quiche reminded me of this......

Ok, so as a mother, and even before that when I was just a wife and even before that as a college student, I love the idea of the pre-shredded cheese in a bag. It made like so much easier. It was already grated, no dishes to get dirty, just pull it out of the fridge and top you dish.

So, much to my disappointment, I found out something that many of you will find just as gross as I did.....

I went to a Pampered Chef party and the hostess was cooking us up a nice chicken dish. She stopped and grated her own cheese and asked us how many of us did. Almost no one raised their hand. Why would they? It's too easy to buy the pre-shredded stuff! She then proceeded to tell us that that pre-shredded stuff has plastic in it! She said if you read the ingredients it will say it right there! (It doesn't say "plastic", but used the technical term for plastic!) Then she told us that is why it lasts so much longer!!! It made total sense!

Even since then, I've been a do-it-yourself-shredder! Wait - let me rephrase - my husband has been a do-it-yourself-shredder! Come on guys, you know it tastes better if you do it!

2 comments:

Steph said...

Ewwwwww! I just read the ingrediants on the back of a pack of shredded cheese in the fridge and it said "Cellulose to prevent caking." This is what Wikipedia says about Cellulose:

"Cellulose is not digestible by humans and is often referred to as 'dietary fiber' or 'roughage', acting as a hydrophilic bulking agent for feces."

Totally gross. Gonna have to get my grate on.

Alecia said...

I totally started grating my own cheese about a year and a half ago. I think it tastes so much better...now I know why.