Wednesday, April 16, 2008

I'm an Aunt!

But before you get all excited to see the little fella, know that I don't have any pictures.

Brandy was admitted to the hospital at 9 on Monday night. She got some Cervadil (sp?) and then got her water broken around 6:45 Tuesday monrning. She was dilated to a 9 around 2 and they decided to go ahead and let her push a little bit to see what would happen.

After about 20 minutes of pushing, it was decided to call the dr. because KJ kept coming down during her contractions but going back up and "hiding" when she wasn't pushing. After talking to the dr. it was decided to go down on her Epadural (sp?) and to let her rest for a bit. She rested about 10 minutes (is this really rest?) and contiued pushing. She pushed for a little over an hour when the doctor got there and within 10 minutes of the doctor, Kenny Joe Pritchard made his entrance into this world. He was 7 lbs, 3 oz and 21.5 inches long.

He is still 4 weeks early, so they had to give him oxygen and put him in a incubator. He spent all night there last night and my mom has just reported that around 9:30 this morning he finally got to have some hangout time with my sister and Michael.

The reason KJ had to come early was because my sister had high fluid counts. (I have never been pregnant so I don't know about all this stuff!) Anyways, he's precious and LONG!

My sister gave me the honor of being in the delivery room with her and Michael when KJ was born. She told me she wanted me there because otherwise, I would never experience childbirth. What an unselfish decision. I will have to say at first I didn't want to go - I was very very apprehensive. However, childbirth is nothing like the movies or TV and when little KJ made his long awaited debut I bawled and bawled like a baby. It was as if at that moment, I realized what my sister let me be part of. I will never witness my own child being born, but I got to witness the next best thing - my first nephew being born. My sister will never know what her decision meant to me.

Oh, and why are there no pictures? Well, I can't find my camera charger so I have very little battery life left. And then, I was in the room with Brandy and Mike and was videoing and camera shooting for them. KJ was taken to the nursery and put in the incubator all night, so no one even got to hold him yet......so, expect some soon...we are going back to see him this weekend!

And even though there are no pictures, I got to see him up close the first 20 minutes of his life and for that, I am forever grateful!

No comments: